What're you lookin' at butthead?


One of the lovely parts--that's right lovely, I'm taking it back--of working downtown is free Tuesdays at the MCA. Sure, walking across the loop on my lunch break makes for a real slam bang of a visit, but its still very nice, lovely even.

In February's CS we had an article on sound artist, Susan Philipsz. I went over to the MCA to check it out. Sound art is pretty interesting stuff. I think I might love sound art, because in many ways I really hate it, if that makes sense. I'm on the fence: is it overly obtuse and pretentious or is it a beautiful way to get people completely emerged in art--the sound surrounds you and in that sense you are part of the art...I like that. Also, I've noticed that sound translates into color, texture, and shapes for me, so interesting sounds make for more interesting images in my mind...I like that.

Also looking at Jacob Riis' photography of the New York tenements circa 1890. That's thanks to The Selvege Yard, one of my favorite blogs.

I think I may make this a regular feature of Woodenwater, perhaps adding some drawings as reactions to the artists...

Comments