I don't know how to build a bass. Me Neither. OK, let's build a bass.

I spent the last couple days with my folks. We brought in the new year watching endless FantomWorks episodes on Velocity while looking through old family photographs. The days were spent with my dad in his shop working on my new double bass project. It was a good little trip as I don't think we've spent that much time together in over ten years. Dad taught me some new things, we tackled things new to both of us and mom helped make some final design decisions. 

Progress has been made and this pile of wood is looking like a bass. Here is the run down. Use what you got. "Econo" (Mike Watt). Rat Rods. I started by pilfering the garage rafters again. The possible table below was dismantled and repurposed as the back of the bass.


I started making plans although they are essentially vague which makes following them very easy. This bass is roughly based on the Kolstein travel bass. If I had a bit more liquidity in the ole budget I would definitely pick one up. The plans are a good place to jot down measurements, notes and points of reference…


I also keep this book in the general area and sometimes look at it…


The garage lumber with bracing and kerfing…


My dad has built a couple kayaks, so he was able to take my idea of striped sides and really make it work. Here are the bead and cove planks in process…


The inside with endpin and neck blocks in place.


Side planks cut to size (approx. 180 pieces), dad getting started or acting goofy because I took out the camera…


Side planks, glued and tacked…


Me pretending to adjust the soundposts because dad took out the camera…


Getting ready to pack up for home…


Back home, looking like a bass…


Steel reinforced neck—yarrr!


Comments