Heavy, Heavy Boots

I'm writing today on a serious note--something I've rarely done on this blog--something I rarely do in my life. I've just come home from jury duty and right now there is a man going free that sexually abuses children.

It was my inability to change the minds of my peers that has allowed this man to go free. I don't think I will ever not feel guilty about that, scratch guilty--like a complete failure as a human being.

Why do adults refuse to believe what children say? For several years now I've said when I grow up I don't want to grow up. Which means that I don't want to stop believing in magic, I want to believe that anything is possible--that love exists everywhere, that we are good people and we can live without hate and stress and violence. But I listen to the news and I hear people talk and I hear hate and racism and I see war and death. What the hell are we doing!?

The Little Prince is tattooed to my arm and here is one more reason why he is there (from the first chapter):
"So I have had, in the course of my life, lots of encounters with lots of serious people. I have spent lots of time with grown-ups. I have seen them at close range... which hasn't much improved my opinion of them."

Today I wonder: why don't grown-ups want to believe what children tell them? "Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is exhausting for children to have to provide explanations over and over again." Believe what children tell you, please!

I found it quite fitting that on my ride home, school was getting out. A young boy with snowball in hand made eye contact with me as I drove by, smiled and hurled the snowball at my car. I'll take that action to say thanks a lot grown-up, thanks for not listening again!

At this point all I can think to do is say listen to kids, especially in regards to sexual abuse. Even if the sick bastard gets away with it, that kid is going to live with that abuse their whole life. Although I've failed today I have put my talents as an illustrator to work for this cause of awareness. In 2003 I undertook my first major illustration project: The Color of Secrets: Encouraging Children to Talk About Abuse, written by Kimberly Steward. Since this was my first big project, my illustration work is not at its best, but the message is there and the writing is great. So I encourage you to at least become aware of child abuse and perhaps this will serve as an introduction for you. You can visit the author's site here.


So, I've got a handful of projects that I need to finish, a wife that could use some attention, and a general feeling of disgust with myself, so I will be offline for a bit. Until next time, I wish everyone peace.

Comments