B33: dookie wheel


For about a week I sketched out designs fitting within the mahogany slab I glued together and when I finally thought I had it, I made a full-sized cutout. I stared dejectedly down at this, what I can only call, turdlike design. At full-size it just looked terrible. A few things struck me during this moment of defeat: 1. Luthiers tend to work on one design, making small adjustments each time; 2. there isn't much I don't like about the flattop bass (just some craftsmanship issues and options for electrics) and 3. (something I thought to myself when I started my new job last fall) before you reinvent the wheel, figure out what the wheel is.

So… this is my birthday bass and it's going to be very similar to my flattop bass, except I'm going to try a few things I thought about when building the flattop. Here is my new template with a lovely piece of cherry being mocked up:


Comments