Sketch for Ali Be-Bop-A-Baba



Thursday night was a tough one. I kept waking up thinking someone broke into the house, then I would dream about that and then the thieves would turn into monsters and demons… sheesh! But, it's not all bad because it's given me an idea.

Friday morning I chuckled to myself while listening to "Ooby Dooby" by Roy Orbison. Wailing out phrases like ooby dooby, beatin' on a ding dong and be-bop-a-lula are certainly a whole lotta fun, but I'm not sure what they mean. Sometimes it's a sexual metaphor, sometimes it's just something syncopated and rhythmic, in any case I like it.

Somehow my lack of sleep paired with some rockabilly nonsense got me thinking of 1001 Arabian Nights and specifically the story of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves. What if you turned that story into a kitschy rockabilly tune? or painting… paint-a-billy? I mean you've got The 40 Thieves, they're a motorcycle gang from hell. Instead of a cave they exit through the mouth of Hell's gatekeeper. You've got a blue collar wood worker in Ali Baba and you've got one clever, hardcore vixen with Morgiana. Ooo and you've got a sewn back together zombie (well in this version, Cassim is just a sewn back together dead guy in the original)! I'd like to turn it into a large painting at some point.


Comments