Every bass player of my generation must answer to Flea!


You might say it's been One Hot Minute since I've visited the Chili Peppers although in many ways I think of them as omnipotent. As a trumpet player turned bass player, I like Flea and tend to keep up with projects he's working on.

But like I said it's been a while since I've gone back and listened to albums like Mother's Milk, Blood Sugar Sex Magic, One Hot Minute and Californication… How strange and beautiful it is to have those time capsules. I started listening to One Hot Minute (an album I haven't listened to since high school) and I can recall all the nonsense banter my gang of friends had at band practice, around the lunch table… at Taco Bell. I can't  imagine that being of interest to anyone so I won't get into it other than it was a really pleasant moment this week.

It's fascinating how sound can transport you back in time. It's an extremely abstract thing that can produce strong emotion—I suppose it's why I keep hacking away at it.

Comments