All form and no function.

I went bowling last night for the first time in years. It became quickly obvious that I'm still a terrible bowler. The thing is, I have tremendous form. If looks could determine the outcome I would be bowling 300s. My high score for the evening was 78.

The form function dichotomy is one of the vital organs of art and design. I notice, with my two main interests (design & illustration) that much design tends to favor all function and much illustration tends to favor all form. Either way is no good. An all form bowler gets a low score. An all function bowler would score well, but look terrible doing it, which could lead to injury or at the very least embarrassment. An all form illustration is quickly forgotten and an all function design may inform, but may fail to create any interest.

So what's the purpose of it? I think art and design are here to communicate, tell stories, get people thinking in new ways. Maybe profound, maybe ridiculous. I tend to favor the absurd, but may that's profound? (don't answer).

You look at cave paintings and they told stories. Stories we can still understand thousands of years later. That's pretty amazing. I want to do that. So here's my form-function-bowling cave painting.

Comments