The Near Year


As a freelancer I always wanted a cubicle. The cubicle is the adult version of a blanket fort. Or it's a place to put up posters and other junk like you did in high school. Of course, its not the same. Although I often thought of freshman year high school in my cubicle--you're in a place that you'd prefer to not be, you have an insane amount of rules to follow, there are a ton of people above you. To go from lone wolf freelancer to cog in the big machine was odd. I say cog without any negative connotation, afterall a clock with a missing cog doesn't keep time.


So yes, the plummeting economy has put me out of my fulltime gig. I never stopped freelancing during my near year and I'm happy about that now. I've been thinking a lot lately about the significance of things from different perspectives. One person's tragedy is another's nothing-at-all. A moment can seem so intense when you're in it and then turn into a blurry grey mass. I imagine in no time at all my near year will turn into a grey blur of near feelings in a room of cubicles.

This is exciting and terrifying, being released back into the wild. I get to hang out with my buddy all day again:



I get to work on some new ideas:


And finish some outstanding projects. This also means that I'll pick up the Music Makers blog project a little sooner. Well gang, I'll be talkin at ya...

Comments