What're you lookin' at butthead?

This past week I've spent a lot of my time looking at the work of Nick Cave...


...no, not that Nick Cave, this Nick Cave:


Specifically his soundsuits, which feel a lot like the drawings I've been doing lately. It brings up an interesting point about seeing things, at least something I've noticed about myself. I caught a brief glimpse of Cave's work several years ago, but didn't pay much attention to it, in fact I don't remember anything other than briefly thinking of Red Right Hand.

So, did I see his work, store it in my subconscious and begin to mimic it? Maybe. It makes me wonder about invention: is everything a form of mimicry? or is the act of compiling all these things we see and experience invention? Obviously seeing something and then trying to replicate it is mimicry, but seeing something, then trying to fuse it with several other things--seems like invention.

Well, several years after first hearing the name of artist Nick Cave I'm rediscovering his work and finding a lot of delight in it.

Comments