Vacation Slide Neck


For the first time in my adult life, I took a week and a half long vacation. In my freelance days, this meant I was out of work. So all in all, it was a new and strange experience. My vacation project was to build a short scale neck for my P-Bass. The P-Bass has been through half a billion changes over the last decade and I would say this is it, but who really knows. This change does fix the "nose-dive" situation. So, here are the details…


The neck is made of African Mahogany and has no fingerboard since it is intended for slide playing.


The head stock is made of Ziricote which smells like roasted nuts when you saw it. It was a wonderful comforting smell—it makes you feel warm even though your freezing you buns off next to a space heater in the garage.


 The angled tuners were not planned, but a result of breaking a drill bit in the wood (yes I'm an amateur woodworker), but it's actually really a nice angle for operating the tuners.


I had T draw one of her dogs on the neck.


Watson has reminded me to tell you that this 2-string slide bass is tuned to the key of D (D, A) and uses a 65 gauge for the D and 45 gauge for the A. It's 30" in scale. In fact, calling this a 2-string slide Baritone would be more accurate.

Comments