Mark Bass: The MARK I

A coincidence is an event or occurrence of disparate elements that on the surface appear unrelated. With some consideration many coincidences relate in a quite natural way.
 
Activity with intention is meditation. The mind is given the freedom to wander while the body is engaged. I find repetition and silence increase the ability to wander. 


COINCIDENTALLY

Like I said, I was spending a repetitive amount of time sanding my 1962 Schwinn Corvette. A bike I got from my neighbor when I was 14. I was also 14 when I bought “Yes”, Morphine’s third studio album which was released in March of 1995. In this light, the idea to create a collaged-slide-bass-homage to Mark Sandman, Morphine’s frontman was not a random coincidence, but a reconnection to a moment 25 years passed.



In this initial conception, the “Mark Bass,” which would then become the “Mark I” and Mark II,” was to create an art bass. If I were to describe the vague ether of this idea it was to create a possibly functional assemblage resembling a bass guitar that conjured the feeling of a 14-year-old discovering his favorite band. This vague ether attached itself to a neck built a few years back and a hunk of African Mahogany.



However in the process of action and reaction more literal impulses took hold. The art assemblage became a bass build and the MARK I began falling apart.



Quite literally the MARK I fell apart and found it’s way to the fire pit. But phoenix-like from the ashes emerged the MARK II.


Comments